once a trading place ...
The island Finnøy on the coast of Romsdalen was originally used as pasture, by the farmers from the neighboring island Sandøy. The buildings that make out Finnøy Havstuer today was originally built as a fish landing and a general store where the crew from the boats could buy all they needed for a long sail, from canned food to fuel and warm clothes. The building that house the restaurant and meeting rooms today was used to produce “clipfish”; dried and salted fish, and salted herring
Nils Finnøy was the first person to settle on Finnøy permanently. He founded a mechanical workshop on Finnøy where he built the first Norwegian marine engine – The Finnøy Engine – in 1902. This was the start of a new era with motorized fishing boats and the beginning of the modern fishing industry.